About Me

My photo
Massachusetts, United States
I am a painter in search of an audience! Here are words to catch search engine hits: painting artist RISD New England Longmeadow Amherst Boston...more as I think of them. Check out my portfolio on a seperate website. The link is on the top of the righthand column

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Crimes Of Andy Warhol #1

"Red Disaster"

Maybe ten years ago I saw this giant painting at the Boston MFA. I am pretty sure this was the picture but it is hard to tell all the Warhol "Art" apart. The crime is that at this huge scale there should at least be something interesting to view; you look, you get it and move on. There is nothing interesting in the paint nor anything interesting in the subject matter. Now you might say that is part of the point. And after you get the "points" what's left? Certainly nothing to look at. These are paintings that can and have been written about ad nauseam and have been very influential but really offer nothing visual any more then the stop sign that  poor car obviously ran through. Intellectual fodder and historical importance does not necessarily make great art.

No comments:

Post a Comment