About Me

My photo
Massachusetts, United States
I am a painter in search of an audience! Here are words to catch search engine hits: painting artist RISD New England Longmeadow Amherst Boston...more as I think of them. Check out my portfolio on a seperate website. The link is on the top of the righthand column

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Will Cotton Panties?



I noticed in the latest Art In America that Will Cotton has a show up in LA. What I don't understand is how someone can get up day after day to paint the same painting. I am envious of his discipline but I can't help wondering just how empty is this guy? On the Warhol scale ( with Michelangelo a 1 and Andy a 10), I would have to give Mr. Cotton a 9.5.                     

Francesco Clemente
Irons and Rainbows
77” by 98” (9)
pastel, watercolor/paper
2010
Now Clemente, currently showing at the soulless Mary Boone Gallery, is a very different problem. He is extremely talented and has produced some incredible work, but he refuses to edit himself. He seems to have never passed up an idea and his extremely prolific production has left us with some awful drivel as illustrated in the above work. On the Warhol Scale, despite some woeful collaborations with Andy, Clemente would rate a 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment