About Me

My photo
Massachusetts, United States
I am a painter in search of an audience! Here are words to catch search engine hits: painting artist RISD New England Longmeadow Amherst Boston...more as I think of them. Check out my portfolio on a seperate website. The link is on the top of the righthand column

Monday, January 31, 2011

Still Life in Hell

Picasso and Warhol

Mark Warren " Nature Morte (Pablo & Andy)" 36" X 44" oil on linen

To my mind Picasso and Warhol came close to killing modern art. "But Mark", you might say, " I know you hate Andy but I thought you revered Picasso?" Yes but I feel the size of Picasso's achievement has left so little room to work in that "Modernism" was ripe for it's execution by the likes of Warhol. The only thing left was to suck any spiritual or expressive dimension out of painting and to complete modernism's self-fulfilling fantasy of it's own death. I f you think this view is reactionary you would be wrong. I accept Modernism's demise and it's lost principles of progress but remember Post-modernism is the new academy.

No comments:

Post a Comment