About Me

My photo
Massachusetts, United States
I am a painter in search of an audience! Here are words to catch search engine hits: painting artist RISD New England Longmeadow Amherst Boston...more as I think of them. Check out my portfolio on a seperate website. The link is on the top of the righthand column

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Eve Teaches Adam

Hendrik Goltzius

"The Fall of Man" 1616

Read more about this painting here at the National Gallery site. When I first saw this painting, without understanding the nature of the symbols, I thought how positive a representation of the fall it depicted. The figures seem relaxed and well integrated into nature despite the fact that Eve has already tasted the fruit. Maybe only Eve was capable of receiving the knowledge and only when Adam became knowledgeable did the trouble begin. Alas, I don't really believe this is what the picture was intended to convey.

No comments:

Post a Comment