About Me

My photo
Massachusetts, United States
I am a painter in search of an audience! Here are words to catch search engine hits: painting artist RISD New England Longmeadow Amherst Boston...more as I think of them. Check out my portfolio on a seperate website. The link is on the top of the righthand column

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Fears

Mark Warren "As Yet Untitled" 48" X 58" oil on canvas

One of my biggest fears is that people will not understand that many of my pictures are meant to be funny or sarcastic. Most of my self-portraits make fun of the romance of the artist. This painting (pardon the lousy photo) has many points of lampoon; most obviously it is a take-off of Munch's "The Scream".


Edvard Munch "The Scream"


My painting is targeting some of the simpleminded ideas of surrealism and the "science" of psychology. It is also taking a critical look at the contemporary interest in outsider artists that seem to have more then a passing sexual interest in children: like Henry Darger.





Henry Darger


Note that some of the girls have a penis. It has often been said that pedophiles are not so much interest in male or female as they are in children. Next is a rather recent discovery: Morton Bartlett




Morton Bartlett


More on Mr. Bartlett here. I will finish this post with the great painter Balthus.





Balthus
 












No comments:

Post a Comment