About Me

My photo
Massachusetts, United States
I am a painter in search of an audience! Here are words to catch search engine hits: painting artist RISD New England Longmeadow Amherst Boston...more as I think of them. Check out my portfolio on a seperate website. The link is on the top of the righthand column

Monday, September 26, 2011

Fascinating Mid-Nineteenth Century Painter

Thomas Chambers (1808-1869) was a rather naive English born American  painter who seems to have painted many marine scenes and eastcoast landscapes. I love the color and the primitive realism. Below is a picture of the Connecticut river valley very near where I live. The foreground bush like shape has me perplexed. In the background you can see the Oxbow feature of the river right near Mt Tom. See more of his work at the 19th-Century American Women blog.


Thomas Chambers . Connecticut Valley. National Gallery of Art


Thomas Chambers View of Nahant (Sunset), Boston, circa 1843


Thomas Chambers View of West Point


No comments:

Post a Comment