About Me

My photo
Massachusetts, United States
I am a painter in search of an audience! Here are words to catch search engine hits: painting artist RISD New England Longmeadow Amherst Boston...more as I think of them. Check out my portfolio on a seperate website. The link is on the top of the righthand column

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ghosts











Whenever I am trolling a local auction I always find huge boxes of anonymous unmarked photographs that are obviously a mix of many families and times; I can't believe how many people have come and gone unnoticed. It is heartbreaking to me to see all these lost homeless souls, long forgotten, tossed into History's trash. I see them as ghosts that can't escape this mortal plane, floating forever "somewhere", disembodied. I am not sure that as long as the images exist that they are truly dead. But I do know they are very unhappy. The more common and uninteresting the photo the more upsetting I find it. Did their lives mean nothing? Where will all the terrible snapshots of me end up? I want to be cremated when I die and I would prefer my photographs go with me; please don't leave my images to moulder and my soul to have unfinished business in some forgotten cardboard box.

2 comments:

  1. A very interesting and thought provoking post. "I can't believe how many people have come and gone unnoticed." < -- A great observation and so well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matthew. It's always good to know someone is looking. The ghost feeling also goes for films especially silent movies; they are even more appirition like.

    ReplyDelete