About Me

My photo
Massachusetts, United States
I am a painter in search of an audience! Here are words to catch search engine hits: painting artist RISD New England Longmeadow Amherst Boston...more as I think of them. Check out my portfolio on a seperate website. The link is on the top of the righthand column

Friday, February 11, 2011

Harry Gross






Harry Gross (1918-1979) was a photographer, photo historian, camera collector & gallery owner. In the 1940s, he owned a lucrative seed, feed & insecticide business in Spokane, WA. The financial success of this business enabled him to amass one of the world’s best collections of daguerreotypes, wet plate cameras, antique photographic equipment & photography books. Drawing upon this collection, in 1964 Gross wrote the first book ever published about camera collecting, Antique and Classic Cameras. His collection is now the core of the camera collection at Japan’s Yokohama City Museum. In 1955, Gross moved to Eugene, Oregon & was employed as staff photographer for the City. Working in a position at the Eugene Water & Electric Board, Gross was active in photographing their large-scale hydroelectric construction projects. In the early 1960s, Gross attended classes held by Ansel Adams & it was likely this experience that marked a shift in his picture taking toward art photography. In 1966, he opened a gallery in Eugene just blocks from the university campus called Gross Gallery. Dedicated to contemporary photography, the gallery staged several significant exhibitions, including works by William Mortensen. Yet Gross primarily used the gallery to showcase his own work, a mix of landscapes, abstractions, nudes, political figures & photographs documenting the peace movement that so defined the late 1960s. Growing his hair long & fully immersing himself in the youth movement, Gross traveled the country with his Nikon SP documenting the scene, including a stop in San Francisco where he photographed the anti-war demonstrations & street life of the Haight-Ashbury district. In 1979, at the age of 61, Harry Gross took his own life after a prolonged & hopeless fight against cancer. 

The above description accompanied these photos on sale on Ebay. Also this is the above mentioned book also for sale on Ebay:





8 comments:

  1. I have harry gross archive... contact me 503 269 3774 amazing negatives from the late 60s haight ashbury and eugene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love Harry. I have some of his rectal refection pieces while on 4 way window pane. Imagine Scott Saxton flexing in a constipated way just b4 passionate love making with Larry Smith and you will have the correct image. Shaggy asked me to tell you to please pass on to our buddy Scoobz: "zoinks, look out for the sea monster! Ghost of Xmas past who loves da kine..... ;' )

      Delete
  2. I am Harry Gross's granddaughter I have a lot of his photos and would love to start displaying them again I just don't know where to start I love looking at all of his pictures and I want to share them with the world again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I'm a huge fan of Harry's photography and his collection of cameras and photographica.
      Call me at 917-273-1887.
      Adam Forgash

      Delete
  3. Harry Gross was also a piece of shit man. My biological mother lived with him in the 70's. He beat and abused me as a child. Just so you know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry he was horrible to you. He was dead before my birth i am his great granddaughter

      Delete
  4. I have two prints of Harry's, one of poet Allen Ginsberg and one of another hippie guy, older, probably both taken in SF 1967 or so.

    ReplyDelete