About Me

My photo
Massachusetts, United States
I am a painter in search of an audience! Here are words to catch search engine hits: painting artist RISD New England Longmeadow Amherst Boston...more as I think of them. Check out my portfolio on a seperate website. The link is on the top of the righthand column

Monday, July 16, 2012

The Professional Artist?

I have always winced when hearing about an artist's "practice" as if any meaningful modern artist was ever trained in the same way as a doctor or lawyer. There are thousands of Fine Arts degrees given out to what purpose I don't know. I recently read this interview with artist  Gary Petersen over at New York Arts Magazine:


AC: How do you perceive the significance of your (our) profession as painters?

GP:  Well, I don't like the word profession when it comes to being an artist. Semantics, I know, but I think it is misleading in a way. It conveys the idea that if we do things a certain way and train a certain way we will have a "job.” We will have a "profession.”  Show me the manual about how you have a "career" in the art world.

No comments:

Post a Comment